Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Gyeongbok Palace/Din Tai Fung

So now that my friend Jenny is staying with me for a month I have finally been venturing out to see more of the country. So yesterday she, I and a friend of mine Selina who is one of the Chinese teachers at my hagwon decided to go see the palace and we hoped to take pictures of us wearing hanboks. Alas we arrived too late for hanboks but we took lots of pictures around the grounds and at the Korean Folk Museum. The weather was amazing... We watched the changing of the guards for the opening ceremony before heading further into the palace compound.
We took a peak inside a representation of what the inner area would look like. It was interesting to see what an emperor would experience day in and day out.

After that we decided...well got lost is more like it...and found ourselves at the back of the complex where the folk museum is located. So we decided to go in and explore a bit. At this point though, my camera died so I didn't get any pictures of what was inside. Jenny got some pictures on her camera so I will share those soon...The scenery was beautiful. I love seeing the mountains over the older traditional homes and complexes.We also found a small area that had the 12 zodiac animals along with the birth years associated with them so we decided to take pictures beside our animals. First you have me the brown cow...ox...Selina the adorable mouse...ratAnd Jenny the mischievous cat...tiger After that we found a small pace to take pictures "in costume', lol...

After a long day of walking we decided to head to Myeongdong to do some light shopping and grab some good food. We went to the Din Tai Fung restaurant located down the street from Shinsegae. We ordered a 4person course with Sweet and Sour soup, cold sweet chili shrimp, beef fried rice, noodle soup w/ dumplings, spinach jiaozi and dessert sweet buns. Needless to say we were stuffed after. Selina even said that the dumpings were the best she has ever had...even compared with China! Be sure to visit it sometime...

After such a long fun day we decided to get back on the subway and head home where I think all of us promptly went to bed. All in all it was a great day!

I'll be sure to post of my other adventures here in Kimchi-land soon=^^=

4 comments:

Chris in South Korea said...

Looks like you had fun! Did you try the English tour or just meander by yourself?

I'm Chris in South Korea by the way - suprised I just discovered your blog :)

algol said...

wow! beautiful ladies
is the Chinese teacher, Chinese American?

Kristen said...

We just kind of wandered n our own. I think we may have just missed the tour. Actually the Chinese teacher is from China. She still has trouble with English and we didn't want to n separate tours so we strolled together and just made up things as we went along=^^=

algol said...

you're staying in Pyeongchon 평촌 right?
i used to stay in one of the officetels there (the one with the Kia showroom)

nice place
emart, subway station, lots of restaurants and bars...