Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Gettin' ready

So with only about 2.5weeks left before I leave i have pretty much given up on finding a temp assignment for extra income and have instead started focusing on visiting family, cleaning my mom's house and buying/packing all my needed items. I've gone onto many forums and other blogs trying to figure out exactly what other people packed when they moved, especially comfort foods. I'm not too picky when it comes to food actually. However I do have a few foods I love to always have on hand for the quick "oops I forgot to eat today" moments I have on occasion when I'm busy. But I have decided on a few food items I'll be packing:
  • taco seasoning
  • packaged oatmeal
  • peanut butter/jelly
  • hot cocoa
  • soyjoy bars
Other things I'm wondering about are clothes and shoes of course. I'm a big time jeans/t-shirt girl and so going business casual is a bit of a change for me. I've also lost a bit of weight so getting new clothes is a must. I'm also not sure if I'll easily find shoes my size (8.5-9) so I want to make sure I don't have to have my mom send me a million items I didn't think I needed. I also am making sure to stock up on bathroom items such as deodorant and toothpaste. I'm not too particular about shampoo/conditioner, and I rarely wear make-up so perhaps I'll worry about those when the time comes. For now though I need to actually buy luggage and figure out how to fit all this into suitcases and separate what to donate to Goodwill.That doesn't even include my shoes or bathroom items...what a long way to go...

2 comments:

Charles Montgomery said...

Picked your blog up off of the Korean blog lists. I'm in Daejeon with my fiancee.

No need to stock up on shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, or that kind of thing. Unless you have very specific preferences or are going to some incredibly small town, your stuff will be available at the Costco or Galleria, or Emart..

Food is what you're gonna miss the most - or it is for most expats. Wait til you try Korean pizza.

Clothes for all 4 seasons.. that's #1.

an have fun!

ambearo said...

Hi, I found your blog through Andy. I wanted to say you don't need to bring peanut butter and jelly- they have tons of that here. Same for hot cocoa- they love that out here. Packaged oatmeal is harder to find so bringing some is a good idea, same with taco seasoning. Otherwise really you can find most things here. Foodwise I brought Miracle Whip (because it's really hard to find and I am picky about mayo) and a couple kinds of salad dressings- like golden italian and ranch.

I would disagree with rwellor on the deodarent issue though- stock up on your own. They are getting some kinds here but it's hella expensive and not as good. Just my two cents! Where are you moving to?