Monday, June 30, 2008

VISA!!!

So I have finally thankfully gotten my visa code. Now I need to call and schedule an interview for this week and finalize some plans to get down to Atlanta. I do have questions for them about how soon I will have my visa stamp so I can let the school coordinator know. I also received a welcome packet which gave me a slight shock when I read I may be paying rent BEFORE I get a paycheck. I don't believe I will really be able to do that so I need to let my coordinator know and see what can be done about it. As far as everything else goes it is mostly in order. I bought my plane ticket (thank you hunni), bought luggage and a few bathroom items I'm picky about and have really and truly started the process of getting rid of things. I had a slight scare when I got an aim message about a friend of mine being in the hospital after getting hit by a car but I went to see her last night and she is doing okay thank gahd.

It still doesn't quite seem real that in less than 2 weeks I'll be on a flight that will take me across the globe and into a place where English isn't even close to the major language. I'm excited and nervous to all hell but it will be an adventure. I've been in my comfort zone for most of my life. Dating Leon has actually done something that could possibly help though. Getting used to the stares. Leon and I get stared at quite a bit, especially when we go into places that are Vietnamese. Or like this past weekend when we went out and I got two schools of black guys who either a) think Leon is the man or b) ask why can't I find a black man to satusfy my needs and such.

Perhaps there will be stares and gawks and leers but oh well. Nothing worse than I get over here already...

3 comments:

JIW said...

congratulations!

JIW said...

staring seems like a fun pasttime here. But as soon as you look back, they turn their gaze. It is considered rude to stare here so they quickly look away. All in all you get use to it, and sometimes it can boost your ego and make you feel like a celebrity..haha

Erin said...

Thanks for your comment! I'm still working with my recruiter to find the right position but I think I'm still on track to arrive the last week of August or first week of September. It's crazy to think how much our lives will change in the next few months!